While school is already underway at Socorro ISD and a handful of other private schools, parents and kids alike will be flooding stores for the annual Tax Free Weekend.
This year’s Sales Tax Holiday is August 11 through the 13. As in previous years, the law exempts most clothing, footwear, school supplies and backpacks priced less than $100 from sales and use taxes, which could save shoppers about $8 on every $100 they spend.
All sales of qualifying items made during the holiday period qualify for the exemption, including items sold online, or by telephone or mail. Additionally, shoppers can use layaway plans to take advantage of the sales tax holiday.
The Legislature sets the dates for the sales tax holiday. Below is the list of items, as well as the FAQ’s on specific topics as provided by the Texas Comptroller’s Office.
All-Inclusive List of Qualifying School Supplies (if priced less than $100)
- Book bags
- Cellophane tape
- Blackboard chalk
- Composition books
- Folders; expandable, pocket, plastic, and manila
- Glue, paste and paste sticks
- Index cards
- Index card boxes
- Legal pads
- Lunch boxes
- Markers (including dry erase markers)
- Paper; loose leaf ruled notebook paper, copy paper, graph paper, tracing paper, manila paper, colored paper, poster board, and construction paper
- Pencil boxes and other school supply boxes
- Pencil sharpeners
- Writing tablets